Regression Analysis [ESP09]
Monday to Friday (5 full days)
Prof. Brian Marx
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Course Introduction to Data-analysis (ESP03) or equivalent knowledge.
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Prof. Brian Marx, PhD
This intermediate level course aims at providing theoretical and practical training for epidemiologists, clinicians and other professionals of related health disciplines in statistical modeling with particular emphasis on straight line linear and multiple regression. Included topics are: review of straight line regression and correlation, ANOVA for straight line regression, appropriateness of straight line model, polynomial regression, multiple regression analysis, partial F-test, dummy/indicator variables, statistical interaction, comparing straight line regressions, analysis of covariance, estimation and interpretation, goodness-of-fit, model selection, collinearity and outlier diagnostics. Additionally, extensions to some generalized linear models, such as logistic (binomial) regression and Poisson regression, will be introduced and interpreted through examples-- thus helping to bridge the material presented in ESP66 (Logistic Regression).
Written exam on the Friday in the week after ESP (only for NIHES MSc students and for ‘keuzevak students’). Course materials are allowed during the examination. If other students wish to do this exam, they have to pay a fee of €75,- per exam. Credits are 1.9 ECTS when you take the exam, instead of 1.4 ECTS.
This course is equivalent to Regression Analysis for Clinicians (EWP23).
- Students will learn the fundamental methods of statistical regression modeling for continuous response variables;
- Students will learn how to build and interpret a variety of multiple regression models, including models with continuous, nominal/indicator, and polynomial explanatory regressor variables;
- Students will become familiar with outlier and collinearity diagnostics to refine models, as well as statistical software packages for computing multiple regression models.
Epidemiologists, clinicians and other professionals of related health disciplines, who are looking for theoretical and practical training in statistical modeling with particular emphasis on straight line linear and multiple regression.
Attendance, Written exam
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 ECTS)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Health Policy and Management
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).