Courses for the Quantitative Researcher [SC17]
Monday to Friday
Joost van Rosmalen, PhD, Elrozy Adrinopoulou, PhD
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Basic level epidemiology and biostatistics and the Introduction to R course of NIHES. Once you have been registered for the SC17 course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Introduction to R course, a short online course.
Detailed information about this course:
The aim of this course is to prepare NIHES MSc students for the more advanced statistical courses (i.e., Repeated Measurements, and Survival Analysis in the Erasmus Winter Programme, Bayesian Statistics, Missing Values in Clinical Research and Growth Models) by equipping them with the required knowledge of basic statistical concepts and statistical software in R.
The course consists of two parts:
- Basic concepts in mathematics and statistics;
- Introduction to the R statistical software.
The first part covers essential concepts in statistics such as density and distribution function, types of distribution functions, integral calculations, differentiation, notions of matrix theory, optimization topics applied to likelihood and sampling. The second part, which is done in conjunction with the first one, introduces the R programming language that is used to perform data manipulations, graphics and statistical analyses.
At the end of the course the student will be equipped with the required knowledge of basic statistical concepts and statistical software in R to successfully complete the advanced statistical courses.
Students who plan to attend (one of) the courses: EWP24 Survival Analysis; CE08 Repeated Measurements (formerly EWP07); CE09 Bayesian Statistics; EP16 Missing Values in Clinical Research (formerly EWP08); EP18 Analysis of Growth Data.
Attendance, Written exam, Assignment(s)
Reduction on fees
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Health Policy and Management
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).