Clinical Translation of Epidemiology [CE01]
Weekdays (except Wednesday). The second Monday is a study day.
Prof. Arfan Ikram, Dr. Daniel Bos
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Detailed information about this course:
This course aims to bridge the gap between theoretical epidemiological concepts and application in clinical research and medicine. Understanding of basic epidemiological principles is therefore a prerequisite.
Students will learn how abstract concepts from epidemiological theory can be translated to clinically observable phenomena. Tools and skills taught in this course will be readily applicable in clinical research on etiology, efficacy, diagnosis and prognosis. Successful completion of this course will enable students to continue with more formal training in theoretical causal inference as well as advanced courses in clinical effectiveness and clinical epidemiology.
The course will consist of interactive lectures, working groups, group presentations and an individual assignment. Through in-class exercises the student will be provided with the opportunity to utilize the knowledge covered in the lectures on a study from the recent literature.
- To translate epidemiological concepts on efficacy, etiology, diagnosis and prediction to application in clinical research.
- To critically interpret the literature in the field of clinical epidemiology.
This course is especially suited for anyone interested in conducting clinical research. This includes clinicians, clinician-scientists, research physicians, nurse practitioners and other researchers from any background working in clinical research. As an intermediate level course basic understanding of epidemiological principles is required (for instance course ESP01, ESP38, ESP77 and / or ESP65). After completion of this course the students will have a sound methodologic basis to carry out their own research successfully.
Written exam, Assignment(s), Presentation(s)
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).