Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases [CE05]
Monday to Friday (full days)
Maarten Schim van der Loeff, MD, PhD, Staff of Public Health Service Amsterdam, National Institute for Public Health Bilthoven and invited speakers.
Public Health Service, Amsterdam NL
Introductory level epidemiology.
Detailed information about this course:
Quantitative approaches play an important role in the understanding of the spread of infectious diseases and provide important tools for prevention. During the course, the basic notions that describe the mechanisms behind the spread of a disease will be introduced. Several examples of what can be learned from the use of quantitative models will be given.
The relation between the specific characteristics of some infectious diseases and their spread will be exemplified, e.g. for tuberculosis, hepatitis, measles, influenza, AIDS. Only a basic level of mathematics is needed, and exercises will be given to practice the theoretical concepts.
Topics covered are:
- Important concepts and tools in modelling the spread of infectious disease.
- Some important quantities related to the spread of infectious diseases (incidence, prevalence, cumulative incidence, incubation time, latent time, period of infectiousness); estimation of these quantities, with an example from the HIV epidemic.
- Simulating large scale and small scale epidemics using the computer.
- Basic reproductive number (R0) as central determinant of whether an epidemic develops.
- Mode of transmission (e.g. airborne, sexual) in relation to the characteristics of spread.
- Heterogeneous spread; the role of mixing between subgroups; contact patterns.
- Molecular epidemiology as a new tool to monitor and model the spread of an infectious disease.
- Vaccination strategies in relation to characteristics of the infectious disease.
- Cost-effectiveness analyses of prevention and treatment.
- Screening of pooled blood samples.
- Understanding the basic mechanisms of the spread of infectious diseases.
- Acquire knowledge of the important concepts and tools in modelling spread of infectious diseases.
- Understanding how infectious disease models can provide important tools for prevention.
Epidemiologists, clinicians and public health researchers with an interest in quantitative methods.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your supervisor/promotor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.