Bayesian Statistics [CE09]
Monday to Friday (full days)
Prof. Emmanuel Lesaffre, PhD
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Classical Methods for data-analysis (CC02), the Introduction to R course of NIHES*, Modern Statistical Methods (EP03) and Using R for Statistics in Medical Research (BST02). Before 2017-2018 BST02 was part of Courses for the Quantitative Researcher (SC17).Or equivalent knowledge, this is intermediate level epidemiology and statistics.
Review of Mathematics and Introduction to Statistics (online course BST01), Repeated Measurements (CE08) and Missing Values in Clinical Research (EP16 or EWP07) are strongly recommended.
*If you have been registered for the CE09 course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Introduction to R course, a short online course.
Detailed information about this course:
There is growing acknowledgement of the value of Bayesian methods for complex models in biostatistics and epidemiology, in dealing with issues such as multiplicity, measurement error, spatial associations and hierarchical structure. This course will introduce the essentials of Bayesian ideas, emphasizing practical application using exact and simulation-based software. Examples will include the use of Bayesian methods in clinical trials, institutional comparisons, smoothing of disease rates, and frailty models.
- Introduce Bayesian concepts and contrast them with the frequentist approach;
- Understand the background and the importance of computer intensive methods in Bayesian statistical analyses, such as the Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) techniques: Gibbs and Metropolis-Hastings sampling;
- Be able to work with some Bayesian software, such as WinBUGS, 1stBayes, etc.;
- Understand the applications and developments in the epidemiological literature involving Bayesian approaches.Keywords: Bayesian analysis, Gibbs sampling, MCMC.
Epidemiologists and clinical researchers.
Attendance, Written exam
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 ECTS)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).