Using R for Decision Modeling in Health Technology Assessment [CE16]
Weekdays, except Wednesday
Petros Pechlivanoglou, PhD, Eline Krijkamp, MSc
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
To benefit from this course students should have:
- Basic probability and statistics knowledge AND
- Some experience with R coding (has done NIHES courses using R (CC02, courses of Dr. Rizopoulos using R) or online courses like DataCamp) or significant experience with coding in other programming languages, AND
- Successfully passed an advanced course in decision modeling:
- EWP02: Advanced Topics in Decision Making in Medicine
- Harvard T.C. Chan School of Public health courses RDS202, RDS280, RDS286
- Faculty approval of an equivalent course
- Recommended but not compulsory: Using R for Statistics in Medical Research (BST02)
- Clinical Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
This course aims to teach how to build decision models in R to students who have a basic understanding of health decision science.
- The course combines lectures with R coding exercise.
- The course is project-based. You are encouraged to apply the theory and skills you learn during this course to a decision problem you select yourself.
More detailed information about each session will be provided in the syllabus.
Attendance of all lectures and practicums is highly recommended in order to be able to complete the assignments and case example successfully. Each day builds on knowledge and skills from the previous day. Clarification of the material taught is best done in the interactive teaching environment provided during classroom sessions.
By the end of the course the student will be able to
- Create decision models using R (decision tree/cohort/microsimulation models)
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of building decision models in R
- Apply good coding practice in R
- Create transparent and readable decision models
- Apply the methods learned in real-life practical examples
Students (Msc/PhD level) or researchers in decision science, health economics, clinical sciences, clinical epidemiology, public health, health technology assessment or value-based healthcare.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your supervisor/promotor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.