Child Psychiatric Epidemiology [CE17]
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Prof. Henning Tiemeier, MD, PhD, Dr. Sonja Swanson
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Principles of Research in Medicine and Epidemiology (ESP01), Study Design (CC01)
- Clinical Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
Psychiatric problems frequently occur in children and adolescents. Epidemiological methods are used in child psychiatric research to study the occurrence of psychiatric disorders, test causal hypotheses and investigate the developmental trajectories.
In this course epidemiological research and methods in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry will be discussed in depth. Using an interactive approach most material is presented in seminar format. A wide range of topics will be covered ranging from descriptive epidemiology, major research milestones, current methodological challenges to a future research agenda for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. These themes are linked to selected major disorders. Other seminars will cover selected research topics. Students are engaged to evaluate and design different research projects. Particular emphasis lies on study designs with a developmental, multi-informant, or multi-method approach.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Critically interpret the literature in the field of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Evaluate critically major child psychiatric research themes such as nosology, genetics, brain imaging or multi-informant approach.
- Design and analyze a Child Psychiatric epidemiological study.
This course is intended primarily for doctoral and master students with interest in developmental or psychiatric research. However, the course should be of interest for any student whose career might involve behavioral or emotional problems in children or psychiatric problems in adults.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 ECTS)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).