Bayesian Statistics [EL003]
Prof. Emmanuel Lesaffre, PhD
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Biostatistical Methods I: Basic Principles (CK020), the Introduction to R course of NIHES*, Biostatistical Methods II: Classical Regression Models (CK030) and Using R for Statistics in Medical Research (CK020). Before 2017-2018 CK020 (BST02) was part of Courses for the Quantitative Researcher (SC17). Or equivalent knowledge, this is intermediate level epidemiology and statistics.
Review of Mathematics and Introduction to Statistics (online course CK001), Repeated Measurements (EL002) and Missing Values in Clinical Research (EL009) are strongly recommended.
*If you have been registered for the EL003 course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Introduction to R course, a short online course.
Detailed information about this course:
There is growing acknowledgement of the value of Bayesian methods for complex models in biostatistics and epidemiology, in dealing with issues such as multiplicity, measurement error, spatial associations and hierarchical structure. This course will introduce the essentials of Bayesian ideas, emphasizing practical application using exact and simulation-based software. Examples will include the use of Bayesian methods in clinical trials, institutional comparisons, smoothing of disease rates, and frailty models.
- Introduce Bayesian concepts and contrast them with the frequentist approach;
- Understand the background and the importance of computer intensive methods in Bayesian statistical analyses, such as the Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) techniques: Gibbs and Metropolis-Hastings sampling;
- Be able to work with some Bayesian software, such as WinBUGS etc.;
- Understand the applications and developments in the epidemiological literature involving Bayesian approaches.Keywords: Bayesian analysis, Gibbs sampling, MCMC.
Epidemiologists and clinical researchers.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for participation of Erasmus MC PhD candidates
Please note that in case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above and Erasmus MC PhD candidates).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student.