Cancer Epidemiology [EP13]
Monday to Friday
Prof. Flora van Leeuwen, ir., PhD , and invited speakers
Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam NL
Intermediate level epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
Cancer is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in the developed world. The aim of this 5-day course is to provide an overview of the contributions of exogenous and endogenous factors to the risk of various cancers.The course starts with descriptive cancer epidemiology and an overview of current concepts of cancer development at the molecular and cell level. Subsequently, genetic and non-genetic risk factors for the most important cancers will be extensively discussed, as well as gene-environment interactions. Special attention will be given to risk factors for multiple primary cancers and recent results of chemo prevention studies. Although the emphasis of the course will be on etiologic factors, one session will specifically address time trends in cancer incidence, mortality and survival rates, followed by a discussion on whether or not we are winning the battle against cancer.
- Gain insight in the contributions of exogenous and endogenous, genetic and non-genetic factors to the risk of various cancers, and gene-environment interactions.
- Acquire knowledge on descriptive cancer epidemiology and current concepts of cancer development at the molecular and cell level.
Clinicians, epidemiologists and public health researchers.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).