Cohort Studies [ESP39]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Prof. Jonathan Samet
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Introductory level epidemiology course work and introductory level biostatistics.
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Prof. Jonathan Samet
This course will provide an introduction to the cohort and other longitudinal designs for students with an intermediate level background in epidemiology.It will focus on design and interpretation, emphasizing the principles and complexities of data collection over time and potential biases that may affect cohort data. Topics to be covered include cohort definition, follow-up and definition of outcomes, fixed and time-dependent exposures, quality control, mixed study designs (nested case-control and other studies), and quality assurance and control. The course will also cover the use of the cohort design in clinical/translational research.
The course will also cover the basic analytic methods appropriate to various types of cohort data, including the application of both non-parametric methods and regression models. The course will be based on lectures as well as small group activities and plenary discussions of exercises. Competencies to be gained in the course include the ability to interpret findings from cohort studies and to apply principles for the design of cohort studies.
- To be able to recognize the general design of a cohort study
- To identify salient issues in the conduct and implementation of cohort studies
- To recognize the main techniques for the analysis and issues in the interpretation of cohort data
Students and public health professionals with basic knowledge of epidemiology who are interested in learning about basic design features, data collection, and ways to analyze data from cohort studies.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).