Case-control Studies [ESP40]
Monday to Friday (5 mornings)
Prof. Moyses Szklo
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Knowledge of basic epidemiology and basic biostatistics.
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Prof. Moyses Szklo, MD PhD
The course will provide an introduction to the design and analysis of case-control studies. Topics to be covered include case-based case-control, nested case-control and case-cohort designs, selection of cases and controls, the parameter measured by the odds ratio as a function of control selection, matched and unmatched strategies, confounding and common biases, and evaluation of additive and multiplicative interaction in case-control studies. These topics will be discussed in the context of the case-control design as a special way to analyze cohort data. In addition, a discussion of adjustment approaches appropriate to case-control data will be covered, including stratified and regression methods. The course will be based on classroom lectures and small group discussions of exercises.
- To understand the main case-control study designs and understand the importance of the type of control group to the parameter estimated by the exposure odds ratio;
- To recognize the main problems when drawing inferences from results of case-control studies;
- To learn and apply the main techniques of confounding adjustment and assessment of interactions in case-control studies.
Individuals who aim at conducting case-control studies and/or reviewing published reports of results of case-control studies.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.