Social Epidemiology [ESP61]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Prof. Frank van Lenthe, Prof. Johan Mackenbach
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Principles of Research in Medicine and Epidemiology, or equivalent knowledge.
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Prof. Frank van Lenthe, PhD & Prof. Johan Mackenbach, MD PhD
This course aims to introduce and illustrate modern research methods in social epidemiology, i.e. the study of the social determinants and social outcomes of health. The three main areas to be covered are: the measurement of health inequalities, the explanation of health inequalities, and the evaluation of interventions and policies to reduce health inequalities. Application of the research methods will be illustrated with historical landmark studies as well as recent examples from the international literature.
The programme consists of lectures, hands-on exercises, and group discussions. The focus will be on socioeconomic inequalities in health, but the role of other social factors (such as ethnicity and marital status) will also be discussed.
The student is able to:
- Understand modern research methods used in social epidemiology;
- To discuss actual themes in social epidemiology on the basis of recent research findings.
Early career researchers in public health, epidemiology, social sciences or health economy with an interest in the role of social determinants in population health.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).