Data Science in Epidemiology [ESP80]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Dr. Daniel Bos and Dr. Gennady Roshchupkin
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Basic understanding of biostatistics, and epidemiology (as covered in ESP03 and ESP01).
Basic knowledge of programming (experience with R, python or any other scripting language).
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Dr. Gennady Roshchupkin, PhD and Dr. Daniel Bos, MD, PhD
Data science is a multi-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods and algorithms to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data. Recent advances in technology allows for the collection of enormous amounts of health-related data. Consequently, skills pertaining to handle and manipulate these data and to extract relevant information have become crucial to perform high quality research. Unfortunately, many researchers without a technical background frequently experience troubles obtaining or developing these skills. The aim of this course is to bridge this gap in knowledge by providing an interactive and hands-on programme about data science and how it can be applied in epidemiological research.
- Understand the concept of data science in the epidemiological environment;
- Learn basic skills in Python and Jupyter notebooks for data science: the most popular and efficient programming software for high-performance scientific analysis;
- Apply the general methods of data visualization using Python;
- Understand Machine Learning methods and neural networks algorithms in epidemiology;
- Appraise the role of big data/data science in terms of study design and scientific value
Clinical researchers, clinical epidemiologists, computer scientists, those in health technology assessment or value-based healthcare.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE: This does not apply to the fee of the research master programmes (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for Erasmus MC PhD candidates, provided they have an account in Hora Finita, the Erasmus University PhD registration system.
In case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
25% reduction for all (international) PhD candidates without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD candidate.