Data Science in Epidemiology [ESP80]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Dr. Daniel Bos and Dr. Gennady Roshchupkin
Basic understanding of biostatistics, and epidemiology (as covered in ESP03 and ESP01).
Basic knowledge of programming (experience with R, python or any other scripting language).
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Dr. Gennady Roshchupkin, PhD and Dr. Daniel Bos, MD, PhD
Data science is a multi-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods and algorithms to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data. Recent advances in technology allows for the collection of enormous amounts of health-related data. Consequently, skills pertaining to handle and manipulate these data and to extract relevant information have become crucial to perform high quality research. Unfortunately, many researchers without a technical background frequently experience troubles obtaining or developing these skills. The aim of this course is to bridge this gap in knowledge by providing an interactive and hands-on programme about data science and how it can be applied in epidemiological research.
//Please note that the course information is subject to change and will be updated from time to time. We will do our utmost best to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information on this website.//
- Understand the concept of data science in the epidemiological environment;
- Learn basic skills in Python and Jupyter notebooks for data science: the most popular and efficient programming software for high-performance scientific analysis;
- Apply the general methods of data visualization using Python;
- Understand Machine Learning methods and neural networks algorithms in epidemiology;
- Appraise the role of big data/data science in terms of study design and scientific value
Clinical researchers, clinical epidemiologists, computer scientists, those in health technology assessment or value-based healthcare.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for participation of Erasmus MC PhD candidates
Please note that in case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above and Erasmus MC PhD candidates).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student.