Advanced Analysis of Prognosis Studies [EWP13]
Wednesday to Friday, exam is Friday after class week.
Prof. Ewout Steyerberg, PhD, David van Klaveren, PhD
Knowledge of basic epidemiological notions, especially cohort studies and randomized controlled trials.
Knowledge of statistical concepts (t-test, normal distribution, correlation) and regression techniques (linear, logistic, Cox regression).
- Clinical Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
Prognostic models are increasingly published in the medical literature each year. But are the results relevant for clinical practice? What are the critical elements of a well developed prognostic model? How can we assume that the model makes accurate predictions for our patients, and not only for the sample that was used to develop the model (generalizability, or external validity)?
In the course we will address these and other questions from a methodological perspective, using examples from the clinical literature.The participants will be encouraged to participate in interactive discussions and in practical computer exercises.
- Increasing the knowledge of the roles that prognostic models may play in clinical practice and the critical factors that determine the validity of predictions from a prognostic model.
- Gain insight in the pitfalls in prognostic model development with standard statistical techniques.
- Acquire both theoretical and practical knowledge on advanced statistical techniques in prognostic model development and validation, specifically on regression modeling.
Written exam, Attendance
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.