An Introduction to the Analysis of the Next-generation Sequencing Data [GE13]
Monday to Friday
To be announced
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
- Genetic Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
This course provides an introduction to working with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) data. It targets individuals who have access to NGS data and want to learn how to work with this data and what the possibilities and limitations of NGS are. Lectures will be complemented with practical sessions in which the student will gain hands-on experience with various tools and techniques.Subjects that will be covered include:
- NGS: an introduction to methodology and techniques;
- Basic statistics of NGS data, e.g. coverage;
- Aligning the sequence reads;
- Calling sequence and structural variants;
- Dealing with various file formats (samtools, VCFtools, GATK);
- Annotating sequence and structural variants;
- Evaluating functional effects of the genetic variants on proteins;
- Conversion to other formats;
- Single variant and Collapsed genotype analyses with various tools (e.g. seqMeta, RAREMETAL and RVtest);
- Finding variants with recessive effects and compound heterozygosity;
- Search for rare variants in families and population based studies for complex phenotypes;
- Search for rare variants in Mendelian disorders, and
- Imputation of sequence variants.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.