Public Health Research: Analysis of Population Health [HS02a]
Weekdays, except Wednesday.
Wilma Nusselder, PhD , Juanita Haagsma, PhD
Methods of Public Health Research (ESP11).
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
Public Health Research: From Epidemiology to Health Promotion
Module: Analysis of Population Health
This module aims to teach methods to assess the health of populations at national and local levels. Students are taught to calculate, apply and interpret population-based measures of mortality, quality of life and disease occurrence. In addition, students learn methods to assess time trends in population health (e.g. APC methods) and to analyse inequalities in health between social groups.
Note: HS02a, HS02b and HS02c will be tested after the HS02c course! If you are taking all three courses, you need to pass all three courses separately.
After completing the course, the student is able to:
- quantify population health by using population-based measures of general health, based on life tables and related techniques;
- assess the public health impact of major diseases, by using measures on their prevalence, incidence and impact on population health;
- describe past trends and explore future developments in population health, by using age-period cohort analyses and other techniques;
- describe socio-economic and ethnic differences in population health, and apply statistical approaches to explain these differences.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.