International Comparison of Health Care Systems [HS03a]
Weekdays, except Wednesday
Dionne Kringos, PhD and invited speakers
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
Insight into the structure, process and outcome of health care systems is vital to be able to implement health care reforms that are effective in improving the health system performance. International comparisons of health care systems and the underlying political, organizational and financial arrangements are a multidisciplinary research field with a mixture of quantitative and qualitative methods. This course will present the various methodological approaches and will build on recent national and international experiences with comparative research.
The course starts with a clear conceptualization and definition of a health care system, definitions of key system components such as the service delivery system (through professionals and institutions), financing, role of the government and role of patients. Health system performance will be discussed in terms of effectiveness, equity and efficiency. Analytical perspectives taken will come from public health as well as from political sciences and economics. The course will also deal with the recent work performed by international organisations such as the WHO and OECD with respect to health system performance measurement and management.
- ability to describe basic concepts and models of health care organisation and delivery;
- ability to discuss these concepts and models from a public health and policy perspective;
- ability to make a comparison of health care systems from different perspectives;
- ability to make an analysis of one's own health care system.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).