Maternal and Child Health [HS09]
Tuesday to Thursday
Prof. Hein Raat, PhD and invited speakers
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Introductory level of epidemiology.
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
The health of women of child bearing age and of children have an important impetus on public health. The aim of the course is to provide an insight into child health from conception onwards.
Determinants of fecundity, pregnancy and pregnancy outcome are discussed as a prerequisite for child health. Perinatal and infant mortality in an international perspective, growth and development are discussed as important health indicators. Preventive interventions such as vaccinations, screening programmes and health promotion are discussed. Special attention is given to the health of groups at risk for health problems such as children of low socio-economic classes and children of ethnic minorities. Psychosocial health problems are said to be on the increase. Facts and figures in an international perspective will be presented. In adolescence, life style habits are developed and appropriate health promotion is important. Examples of health promotion programmes are discussed. The programme consists of presentations, exercises and group discussions.
- Determinants of fecundity, pregnancy and pregnancy outcome.
- Perinatal and infant mortality.
- Growth and development preventive interventions.
- Psycho-social health problems.
- The health of groups at risk.
- Adolescence and health promotion.
N.B.: This course is organised every other year.
Gain insight into child health from conception onwards.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).