Quality of Life Measurement [HS11]
Wednesday to Friday
Prof. G.J. Bonsel, MD, PhD, Prof. J.J. van Busschbach, PhD, I.J.Korfage, PhD, Prof. J. Passchier, PhD, Prof. J. de Vries, PhD
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Introductory level of epidemiology.
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
In recent years, the patient's assessment of quality of life has developed to an important outcome measure in epidemiology and health services research. Moreover, quality of life measures are increasingly used as criteria in reimbursement policy, most notably in QALY-analysis.
The aim of the course is to provide the participants first, with a review of the instruments currently available; Second, participants are provided with the knowledge required to select measures of quality of life that are both valid and sensitive for the research objectives of the participants;
Third, participants will acquire the knowledge and practical skills necessary to adjust standard measures of quality of life instruments for their specific disease area’s, with a special focus on reimbursement. The programme consists of presentations, exercises and demonstrations of practical issues. Participants are invited to email their specific interest at forehand, and these topic will be discussed during the course.
- Background of ‘health status' and ‘quality of life’.
- Main principles of construction of a quality of life questionnaire.
- Available instruments.
- Adaptation instruments for specific research questions: increase sensitivity.
- QALY-analysis. Practical and ethical value of measuring quality of life in a reimbursement setting.
Acquire knowledge required for the evaluation of quality of life instruments and to select the measures, which are valid and sensitive for their research purposes.Gain insight in the instruments currently available for description and valuation of health.
Acquire knowledge required for the justified application in evaluation research.
Medical and behaviour professionals who are relatively new in the field of quality of life measurement.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form.
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.