Introduction to Medical Writing [LLS01]
Four days and 1 half day, with a break in between (2 groups) - course takes place in January and May/June
Mrs. Ann Bless, Mr. Ian Cressie
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Detailed information about this course:
During the second semester, full time Master of Science (70 ECTS) students will attend five workshops (three hours each) on how to write and correctly structure readable scientific articles in English.
During the course participants will:
- Compare different styles of scientific writing.
- Turn clumsy and wordy writing into clear, understandable English.
- Edit various parts of a badly written article.
- Analyse the discussion section taken from a published article.
- Write a title, abstract and introduction for a paper about their research.
- Receive peer review of their writing from other participants and the trainer.
On Day 4, participants will be offered 30-minute individual review sessions with the trainer. Participants can bring any writing they choose to the session.
To help researchers improve their writing by:
- raising awareness of the characteristics of readable scientific writing,
- reinforcing knowledge about structuring their articles, and
- pointing out writing pitfalls.
Our aim is to enable participants to face their writing with confidence.
This course is part of the MSc programme in Health Sciences (70 ECTS) and is therefore only open to students of this programme. Other Erasmus MC PhD students interested in this course might find a suitable alternative in the PhD-course on Biomedical Writing [PHDCO-005].
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for participation of Erasmus MC PhD candidates
Please note that in case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above and Erasmus MC PhD candidates).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student.