Science Communication [LLS12]
Teachers: Athina Vidaki, Fred Balvert, Reinoud de Jongh and invited speakers. Course coordinator: Marije Splinter
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Detailed information about this course:
As a researcher, you will be trained to communicate your research findings to colleagues by means of a poster, a conference talk, or a scientific publication. But fellow scientists are not the only target group for our results, we often want to further disseminate our findings. Are we well equipped to communicate our research findings to a wider audience and what does it take to do this properly?
In four half-day sessions we will explore some of the basic principles of science communication. In the lectures we will discuss topics such as what is meant by societal impact, how to determine the target group of your research and how to communicate to different audiences. In subsequent interactive sessions, you will implement the gained knowledge in several exercises using your own research.
The live sessions for this course will take place on
- Monday 24 April
- Friday 28 April
- Monday 1 May
- Friday 5 May
In this course, students:
- Learn how to effectively communicate their study results to a wide audience;
- Learn about different communication channels;
- Learn what the difference between scientific and societal impact is;
- Learn in which ways societal impact can be achieved;
- Acquire basic skills in writing popular texts and making popular videos;
- Acquire skills to explain their study results in an easy-to-understand language;
- Reflect on their own skills and competences as a science communicator.
Students in the MSc Health Sciences programme (120 EC) and MSc Clinical Research programme (120 EC), and external participants.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE: This does not apply to the fee of the research master programmes (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for Erasmus MC PhD candidates, provided they have an account in Hora Finita, the Erasmus University PhD registration system.
In case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
25% reduction for all (international) PhD candidates without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD candidate.