Preventing Failed Interventions in Behavioral Research [MP05]
Monday to Friday
Dr. Annemerle Beerthuizen
Students should have basic statistical knowledge and basic knowledge about study design.
- Medical Psychology
Detailed information about this course:
The success and common risk factors of trials
This course elaborates on successful ingredients for different phases of an intervention study: design, data collection and implementation. The focus is on learning from encountered difficulties, mistakes and failures from previous research and researchers. Questions that will be addressed are for instance:
- How do you choose the most suitable research design?
- How do you ensure that the protocol is followed?
- How do you implement your intervention?
The assessment of the course will exist of a short presentation (pitch) of a critical appraisal of an intervention study, preferably your own.
After this course, students:
- Understand and can identify the risk factors of interventions in the four phases of behavioral research: design, data collection, data analysis and implementation;
- Are able to apply their knowledge to identify risk factors to prevent failure of interventions in own or other behavioral research.
This elective is for researchers of (psychological) intervention studies. Basic statistical knowledge and basic knowledge about study design are prerequisites.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for participation of Erasmus MC PhD candidates
Please note that in case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above and Erasmus MC PhD candidates).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student.