Preventing Failed Interventions in Behavorial Research [MP05]
Monday to Friday
Adriaan van 't Spijker, PhD, and others
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
- Medical Psychology
Detailed information about this course:
This course elaborates on intervention development, implementation and evaluation in the field of medical psychology. The focus is on learning from encountered difficulties, mistakes en failures from previous research and researchers. Questions that will be discussed are:
- How to design an intervention taken into account both common and specific therapy factors?
- How to evaluate the effectiveness of your intervention and not the effectiveness of the therapist?
- How to motivate other professionals and institutions to cooperate in a multicenter trial?
- How to prevent loss to follow-up and dropout?
- How to prevent various biases in your outcome measures?
- What is the best available outcome instrument for the intervention studied?
- How to determine which elements of your intervention are most effective?
- How to implement your intervention?
- Understanding the rationale of interventions in the psychosocial care for somatic patients;
- Understanding the development of psychological interventions incorporating common and specific therapy factors;
- Understanding the difficulties and barriers in psychological intervention research;
- Being able to choose and apply different strategies in psychological intervention research;
- Being able to choose an appropriate outcome measure, based on a state-of-the-art overview of psychological questionnaires.
This elective is for researchers of (psychological) intervention studies. Basic statistical knowledge and basis knowledge about study design is assumed to be present.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your supervisor/promotor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.