Introduction to Medical Writing [SC02]
Four half days and 1 half day, with a break in between (2 groups) - course takes place in January and May/June (No classes on Mo 31-05 to Wed 09-06)
Mrs. Ann Bless, Mr. Ian Cressie
Detailed information about this course:
During the second semester, full time Master of Science (70 ECTS) students will attend five workshops (three hours each) on how to write and correctly structure readable scientific articles in English.
During the course participants will:
- Compare different styles of scientific writing.
- Turn clumsy and wordy writing into clear, understandable English.
- Edit various parts of a badly written article.
- Analyse the discussion section taken from a published article.
- Write a title, abstract and introduction for a paper about their research.
- Receive peer review of their writing from other participants and the trainer.
On Day 4, participants will be offered 30-minute individual review sessions with the trainer. Participants can bring any writing they choose to the session.
To help researchers improve their writing by:
- raising awareness of the characteristics of readable scientific writing,
- reinforcing knowledge about structuring their articles, and
- pointing out writing pitfalls.
Our aim is to enable participants to face their writing with confidence.
This course is part of the MSc programme in Health Sciences (70 ECTS) and is therefore only open to students of this programme.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.