Scientific Writing in English for Publication [SC07]
Morning, afternoons and/or evenings
Peter van Gelder
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Participants should have finalised much of the theoretical and technical aspects of their own research and have, at least, some results.
Detailed information about this course:
Course days in 2018-2019 will be: Wednesday November 28, Wednesday December 12, Monday January 16 and Wednesday February 6.The first 3 sessions will be on mornings or afternoons depending on your group.
The last session on the 6th will be in the morning, afternoon or evening depending on your group and other course schedule.
Writing to be read
This course will focus on:
- Communicating the point and importance of your research;
- Writing a clear and readable scientific article.The course consists of 4 half-day sessions and 3 writing assignments that will receive individual feedback from the instructor as well as other course participants. Attending all 4 sessions and completing all writing assignments is compulsory.
The course will be intensive—writing takes time—so we suggest that participants reserve considerable time for this course.
Participants will be guided through the writing process in 3 assignments:
- Clarifying the point of the research;
- Completing the Hourglass Template with the main messages for the Introduction, Methods, Results, and Discussion of your research;
- Writing the Abstract and Title.
Part of the work will be peer reviewing. Participants will critically discuss each of the three assignments with a peer-review partner (i.e. another course participant). The remaining members of the peer-review group will review and critique each assignment as well. This implies that participants must be willing to work closely with a peer-review partner during the course and meet deadlines for peer reviewing. After revising texts based on these reviews, participants then send them to the instructor, who will provide both substantive and language tips.
To give participants the skills and tools needed to write credible, readable and citable research papers for publication in English. The participants receive individual feedback on a part of their own paper.
Students in the MSc Health Sciences programme (120 EC) and MSc Clinical Research programme (120 EC).
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).