Science Communication [SC18]
Four afternoons on 10, 14, 16 and 18 June
Teachers: Athina Vidaki, Fred Balvert, Reinoud de Jongh and invited speakers. Course coordinator: Lisanne Dommershuijsen.
Detailed information about this course:
As a researcher, you will be trained to communicate your research findings to colleagues by means of a poster, a conference talk, or a scientific publication. But fellow scientists are not the only target group for our results, we often want to further disseminate our findings. Are we well equipped to communicate our research findings to a wider audience and what does it take to do this properly?
In four half-day sessions we will explore some of the basic principles of science communication. In the lectures we will discuss topics such as what is meant by societal impact, how to determine the target group of your research and how to communicate to different audiences. In subsequent interactive sessions, you will implement the gained knowledge in several exercises using your own research.
In this course, students:
- Learn how to effectively communicate their study results to a wide audience;
- Learn about different communication channels;
- Learn what the difference between scientific and societal impact is;
- Learn in which ways societal impact can be achieved;
- Acquire basic skills in writing popular texts and making popular videos;
- Acquire skills to explain their study results in an easy-to-understand language;
- Reflect on their own skills and competences as a science communicator.
Students in the MSc Health Sciences programme (120 EC) and MSc Clinical Research programme (120 EC), and external participants.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.