Research Master in Clinical Research
Ambitious students with a Bachelor degree in Medicine or Biomedical Sciences
First year: mainly methodological, statistical and programme specific courses and start research project; Second year: individual research project and advanced courses, electives and seminars.
Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Master of Science Degree (MSc) in Clinical Research (research), 1 Research Paper
Check Application & Admission > Tuition Fees
Specialisation No specialisation contents
For more courses and detailed information about this programme please refer to the documents on our downloads page.
Detailed information about this programme:
The Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) and a large variety of university departments with a known track-record in clinical and translational research at Erasmus MC have developed a Research Master programme in Clinical Research.
This research master is directed at providing students with the skills essential to patient-oriented clinical research. Compared to other training programmes in clinical research, the Erasmus MC Research Master has a strong focus on epidemiologic methods and statistical analysis, to meet the changing needs of the current health care field, particularly the increasing need for trained professionals with well-developed quantitative and analytic skills. We are able to do so by building on a long and excellent tradition at Erasmus MC of clinical epidemiology, making using of our large population cohorts and strong focus of our clinician-researchers to embrace epidemiological research methods, not only to understand the etiology of disease, but also to prove the effectiveness of treatment.
Students in the Clinical Research Master programme are in large part clinical investigators with an MD degree (or are in training for this) or a degree in biomedical sciences. The Research Master uses an interdisciplinary blend of biostatistics, epidemiology, clinical trial design, medical informatics, and health services research, to prepare the students for a career in patient-oriented and translational research, as well as more traditional clinical investigation.
Research opportunities are offered in a range of fields such as endocrinology, cardiovascular research, various subfields in oncology, neurology, pediatrics, obstetrics, urology, transplantation medicine, gastroenterology and hepatology, surgical research, and musculoskeletal science. Completion of the Clinical Research Master offers an excellent base to continue with a PhD project, for which there are ample opportunities at Erasmus MC as well.
If you are a medical student at Erasmus MC, you may apply for this Research Master programme, when you receive an invitation from the Dean, or when you feel you qualify for participation in this programme. The Research Master programme is accustomed to your Bachelor and Master in Medicine.
For more information about this programme, you can download the study guide - see button above. The Master of Science in Clinical Research programme comprises 120 EC points credits and is NVAO accredited.
For more information, visit the Netherlands-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO) at www.nvao.net.
Students should acquire the following competencies:
- Ability to formulate a clinical problem and translate it into a scientific question;
- Ability to perform an extensive study of the literature concerning a clinical problem;
- Ability to translate a scientific question into a research protocol;
- Acquisition of sufficient knowledge of existing methods of clinical scientific research, biostatistical analytical methods, laws, regulations and ethics and the abilities to use such knowledge in a research protocol;
- Ability to conduct the research, collect and analyse data, and draw conclusions;
- Ability to write a Master’s thesis, including the objective(s) of the investigation, a summary of the literature, materials, methods, results, discussion and conclusions of the research project and to present these findings at scientific meetings. Publication of the research findings in an international peer-reviewed journal is encouraged;
- Ability to assess and be critical on research.
The degree prepares you for an international career in clinical research, or for an executive or advisory position in public health, clinical medicine, drug research or health-policy development.
Are you eligible?
You should fit each of the following criteria:
- You have a Bachelors degree from a school of medicine or biomedical sciences or a broad Bachelor’s education with sufficient basic subjects in medicine and/or biomedical sciences and/or medical biology.
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written.
- If you are a medical student at Erasmus MC, you may apply for this Research Master programme, when you receive an invitation from the Dean, or when you feel you qualify for participation in this programme.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.