Clinical Epidemiology [CE02]
Weekdays, except Wednesdays. Thursday 7 November is a study day.
Prof. M.G.M. Hunink, MD PhD, H.F. Lingsma, PhD, N. van Leeuwen, MSc, E.M. Krijkamp, MSc
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
The assignments involve performing calculations. For the Diagnosis part you may choose to work with Excel or with R. For the Prognosis part you will be using R code that has been written for you. To benefit maximally from this course we advise you to do the introduction to R - online course. The R online course will take maximally 5 hours and the aim is to help you prepare for your NIHES courses, by:
- installing R and R Studio on your laptop;
- learning about the syntax of R and how to write code;
- learning the basics of R Studio (open source integrated development environment);
We expect you to be familiar with the topics covered in the DataCamp course Introduction to R:
- Clinical Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
Research questions in clinical epidemiology originate from clinical practice. Caring for patients commonly triggers the research-minded clinician to question his/her knowledge and decisions. Questions may revolve around risk factors, prevention, diagnosis, prognosis and/or interventions. Results from clinical epidemiological research are used in patient management decisions. Concepts from decision sciences are used to translate clinical research results to application in day-to-day clinical practice.
In this course, the principles and practice of clinical epidemiology and the application of the results to clinical decision making will be considered, using examples from the literature and from ongoing studies.
We will be using blended learning: a combination of web-based materials, interactive lectures, workshops and practicums.
The course is divided into 3 parts:
Assignments for each part need to be completed prior to the next part.
- Ability to evaluate and appraise clinical studies
- Ability to actively participate in clinical studies
Medical doctors, medical students, clinical researchers, clinical epidemiologist, biostatisticians, health technology assessors, and public health professionals.
Written exam, Assignment(s)
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your supervisor/promotor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.