Selected Topics in Epidemiology [CK060]
Monday-Friday, course covers a fulltime workload
Prof. Kamran Ikram, PhD (coordinator), Maryam Kavousi, PhD (coordinator), Prof.dr. S.J. de Vlas, Prof.dr. J.J. van Busschbach, Dr. B.S. Ferket, Prof.dr. B.H.C. Stricker, Dr. A.I. Luik, Dr. R.G. Voortman, Prof.dr. F. Rivadeneira, Prof.dr. D. Rizopoulos
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
ApplicationHow to apply
Detailed information about this course:
This course is primarily in class, with online options for students unable to come to Erasmus MC.
This course focusses on the application of the theoretical concepts, that students have thus far learned in the previous courses of the core curriculum, to health-related topics. After having learned the principles of research methods, study designs, and statistical analyses, it is equally important to learn how to effectively apply these concepts in "real-life" settings. To improve population health, theoretical background needs to be complemented with applied epidemiological competencies. In this course, we will retain the established and novel didactics of epidemiology with an overlay that prepares the students to work on specific health-related topics. The overall aim of this course is to teach students how the theoretical concepts appear in real-life settings (sometimes presented using different terminologies).
The course includes a wide range of domains:
- Infectious disease epidemiology (Prof.dr. S.J. de Vlas);
- Medical psychology (Prof.dr. J.J. van Busschbach);
- Health technology assessment (Dr. B.S. Ferket);
- Pharmaco-epidemiology (Prof.dr. B.H.C. Stricker);
- Psychiatric epidemiology (Dr. A.I. Luik);
- Lifestyle epidemiology (Dr. R.G. Voortman);
- Genomic and molecular epidemiology (Prof.dr. F. Rivadeneira);
- Big data (Prof.dr. D. Rizopoulos).
For students in our master programmes, the core concepts presented in this course will be assessed in the core competences exam that bundles the fall semester courses. This is in addition to the assessment during the course in the form of assignment(s). The core competences exam is only mandatory for students starting their programme in August 2021 or later, while the assignments during the course are mandatory for all participating students.
The specific objectives of this two-week course on Selected Topics in Epidemiology are:
- To allow students to further their understanding of theoretical concepts;
- To develop an understanding of these theoretical concepts in practical applications;
- To enable students to apply these theoretical concepts in their own research activities.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE: This does not apply to the fee of the research master programmes (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for Erasmus MC PhD candidates, provided they have an account in Hora Finita, the Erasmus University PhD registration system.
In case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
25% reduction for all (international) PhD candidates without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD candidate.