Quality of Life Measurement [EL023]
Monday to Wednesday
Course coordinator: Professor Jan van Busschbach, Section Medical Psychology & Psychotherapy, Dr. Ida Korfage, Public Health, Dr. Elly Stolk, EuroQol Research Foundation, Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management (ESHPM)
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Introductory level of epidemiology.
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
In recent years, the patient's assessment of quality of life has developed to an important outcome measure in epidemiology and health services research. Moreover, quality of life measures are increasingly used as criteria in reimbursement policy, most notably in QALY-analysis.
The aim of the course is to provide the participants first, with a review of the instruments currently available; Second, participants are provided with the knowledge required to select measures of quality of life that are both valid and sensitive for the research objectives of the participants;
Third, participants will acquire the knowledge and practical skills necessary to adjust standard measures of quality of life instruments for their specific disease area’s, with a special focus on reimbursement. The programme consists of presentations, exercises and demonstrations of practical issues. Participants are invited to email their specific interest at forehand, and these topic will be discussed during the course.
- Background of ‘health status' and ‘quality of life’.
- Main principles of construction of a quality of life questionnaire.
- Available instruments.
- Adaptation instruments for specific research questions: increase sensitivity.
- QALY-analysis. Practical and ethical value of measuring quality of life in a reimbursement setting.
A facultative pre-course virtual welcome reception will be hosted on the Friday before the official start of the course. We highly recommend you attend this event as well!
See 'how to apply' for the course registration period.
- After completing this course, the student can evaluate quality of life instruments with respect to validity and sensitivity
- After completing this course, the student can create a test battery by choosing the correct quality of life measurement questionnaires to answer a particular research question
- Recognize the difference between in perspective on quality of life between the societal view and the patient view.
Medical and behaviour professionals who are relatively new in the field of quality of life measurement.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE: This does not apply to the fee of the research master programmes (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for Erasmus MC PhD candidates, provided they have an account in Hora Finita, the Erasmus University PhD registration system. When submitting the application, you can state that someone else pays your tuition fee.
In case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
25% reduction for all (international) PhD candidates without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD candidate.