Health Economics [ESP25]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Dr. Ken Redekop
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Methods of Health Services Research or equivalent knowledge.
- Health Economics
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Ken Redekop, PhD
Economic thinking is becoming increasingly important in health care.This course begins with a two day introduction of main concepts of health economics. The remaining three days are used to provide students with more in depth knowledge. The student will learn to analyze the cost-effectiveness of health care interventions (e.g., medicine, diagnostic test, health care programme).
Both methodology and practical examples will be covered. Exercises are used to illustrate the various steps in economic thinking.
By the end of this course participants:
- Will understand basic principles of health economics and their application at various levels (including country-level and hospital-level policy making and single technology assessments);
- Will be able to describe the aims and steps of a cost-effectiveness analysis, as well as the role of related activities such as computer modelling, cost analysis, and quality of life assessment;
- Will be able to perform some basic level cost-effectiveness analyses through computer exercises.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form.
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.