Introduction to Global Public Health [ESP41]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Dr. Rajiv Chowdhury
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Rajiv Chowdhury, MD PhD
The key aim of this course is to learn about the principal issues surrounding global health and the main outcome of the course will be a better understanding of how epidemiology and public health can more effectively protect the health of disadvantaged populations in the changing global context.
Some of the specific health issues to be discussed include: the global rise of the non-communicable diseases (NCD) such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes; threats to health from pre-existing and emerging communicable diseases; maternal and child health issues, and the impact of global environmental change. Additionally, other related issues such as concepts and realities of health systems around the world, impact of globalization on health, and how to measure global health will be discussed. For each health problem, where appropriate, there will be a discussion of: burden of disease, major determinants, intervention policies and programmes, and evaluation of the effectiveness of the interventions. A key focus of the course would be small group interactions.
At the end of the week, participants will have:
- A greater awareness of the full range of global public health challenges;
- An increased understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of epidemiology and public health in responding to these challenges
This course should be suitable for:
- Medical and non-medical students from diverse professional backgrounds
- Professionals encompassing all stages of career
- Individuals with a keen interest in Global Health
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.