Research Master in Health Sciences
Ambitious students with a relevant Bachelor degree
First year: mainly methodological, statistical and programme specific courses and start research project; Second year: individual research project and advanced courses, electives and seminars.
Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Master of Science Degree (MSc) in Health Sciences, (research), 1 Research Paper
€ 18.200;(Non EU/EEA), € 2.060;(EU/EEA) annual fee
Specialisation Health Economic Analysis contents
A.E. Attema, PhD
- Principles of Research in Medicine and Epidemiology [ESP01]
- Introduction to Global Public Health [ESP41]
- Methods of Public Health Research [ESP11]
- Methods of Health Services Research [ESP42]
- Health Economics [ESP25]
- Study Design [CC01]
- Biostatistical Methods I: Basic Principles [CC02]
- Biostatistical Methods II: Classical Regression Models [EP03]
- Causal Inference [ESP48]
- Scientific Writing in English for Publication [SC07]
For more courses and detailed information about this programme please refer to the documents on our downloads page.
Detailed information about this programme:
The Research Master programme in Health Sciences aims to provide students with a thorough understanding of methods in either clinical or public health research. Specializations include clinical epidemiology, epidemiology, public health epidemiology, genetic and molecular epidemiology, and health economic analysis. After completion, candidates will have the knowledge, understanding and skills to propose state-of-the-art studies, write excellent study protocols, perform the research, analyze the data using modern statistical techniques, make defensible causal inferences, come to justified conclusions, and write outstanding research papers. Depending on the choice of specialization, the candidate will focus on for example clinical trials, population studies, public health interventions, or modeling studies.
This programme is NVAO accredited. For more information, visit the Netherlands-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO) at www.nvao.net.
Students acquire the following competencies:
- Ability to formulate a clinical or public health problem and translate it into a scientific question;
- Ability to perform an extensive study of the literature concerning a problem;
- Ability to translate a scientific question into a research protocol;
- Acquisition of quantitative skills;
- Ability to make causal inferences;
- Ability to critically appraise published research;/li>
- Ability to conduct the research, collect and analyse data, and draw conclusions;
- Ability to write a Master’s thesis, including the objective(s) of the investigation, a summary of the literature, materials, methods, results, discussion and conclusions of the research project and to present these findings at scientific meetings. Publication of the research findings in an international peer-reviewed journal is encouraged.
The degree prepares you for a career in international medical research or for executive or advisory positions in clinical medicine, public health, pharmaceutical research, or health policy.
Are you eligible?
You should fit the following criteria:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or a relevant Master’s degree from a discipline in or related to clinical medicine or public health (medical doctor, health sciences, nutrition, biology, pharmacy, environmental sciences, social sciences, economics, psychology, etc.).
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 ECTS)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).