Study Design [CC01]
Full weekdays, except Wednesdays. The third week is a study week.
Dr. M. Kavousi, Prof. M.K. Ikram
Detailed information about this course:
In this course, the principles and practice of follow-up and case-control studies will be taught. The theory underlying the different design options will be discussed in depth. The course focuses on the classical approach but also addresses modern concepts. The practice of conducting follow-up and case-control studies with emphasis on issues of validity will be discussed. Lectures will be complemented by exercises using current examples of epidemiological studies.
Participants will be asked to work out a study design and prepare a formal presentation on the last course day.
- Understanding of main concepts of design of follow-up and case-control studies;
- Ability to design a follow-up or case-control study given a research question;
- Ability to discuss research papers with respect to aspects of validity.
For students who are starting their research and need to get the basics in study design in health sciences.
Written exam, Presentation(s)
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form and state the name of your tutor on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.