Studying in Rotterdam
Are you visiting Rotterdam for the first time? Are you curious to discover the city, but clueless to what this ‘Manhattan on the Maas’ has to offer? This brief introduction offers a first impression of Rotterdam!
Rotterdam is also called “World Port City” or the “Gateway to Europe”. It is an international, modern, dynamic place that differs from other Dutch cities. Due to the bombing during the World War II, Rotterdam was reinvented and expanded rapidly. The new character of Rotterdam with the impressive skylines, the cultural and sport events and the second biggest port in the world attracts thousands of tourist every year. The city is also one of the most attractive places for companies to establish their offices, since it serves as a trade center due to the easy access by road, rail, air and sea. Rotterdam belongs to the South Holland province and its population is approximately 623.000.
We definitely recommend you to stroll through the city. We compiled a list of a few must-see places for you:
- De Koopgoot: an underground shopping street in the heart of Rotterdam. Next to one of the famous Dutch warehouses, De Bijenkorf.
- De Lijnbaan: a shopping street near De Koopgoot. Here you’ll find all sorts of shops. From pharmacies to shoe stores and from sportwear to eating churros.
- Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen: an iconic building with 1664 mirrors, which was designed to store and exhibit all sorts of art.
- Euromast: an observation tower constructed in 1960. Nowadays, the Euromast is a restaurant. It also offers a great and unique view of the city skyline.
- De Markthal: an indoor market with various shops. This building is unique thanks to its shape and ceiling.
- Witte de Withstraat: a street with many restaurants, cafés and small shops.
- Kubuswoningen (cube houses): unique, yellow houses that are tipped to one side.
For more information, visit the Erasmus University’s “Study in Rotterdam” webpage.
Be Inspired in Rotterdam with the free mobile city guide app!
Explore Rotterdam on the go with the Rotterdam Tourism Info App on your mobile phone. This mobile city guide highlights the very best that Rotterdam has to offer, from attractions and museums to hotels, restaurants and shops.
Download the free application: