SNPs and Human Diseases [GE08]
Monday to Friday.
Pascal Arp, ing., Prof. Cornelia van Duijn, PhD, Prof. Manfred Kayser, PhD, Joyce van Meurs, PhD, Prof. Ben Oostra, PhD, Prof. André Uitterlinden, PhD, Frank van Vliet, PhD
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
It is recommended for the participants of the SNP course to have basic knowledge of the central molecular biological dogma's (such as DNA and gene structure, DNA encodes RNA encodes protein, etc.) and of basic genetic principles.
- Genetic Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
The analysis of DNA polymorphisms, in particular Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs), is becoming a standard research approach to understand causes of disease, in particular the so-called "complex" diseases such as diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, etc. The aim of this course is to give a broad introduction in SNP techniques and applications. The course will deal with five main topics, which are in logical order:
- General Introduction and Study design,
- Bio informatic tools for SNP finding and analysis,
- Genotyping techniques and DNA management,
- Data analysis, and
- Examples of research in which SNPs are used.
To get a broad impression of SNP techniques and applications.
The course is primarily organized for PhD students and postdocs of the Erasmus Postgraduate School Molecular Medicine, NIHES, MGC and other research schools. Other participants, e.g., scientists, students, and technicians from other universities in- and outside the Netherlands are also welcome.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 ECTS)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).