Public Health Across the Life Course [EL024]
Full course days
Prof.dr. Frank van Lenthe, Invited guest speakers
- Public Health
Detailed information about this course:
From prenatal to old age, each phase in life is characterized by specific public health challenges. Life-course epidemiology increasingly shows how health problems at one or multiple periods in life have consequences for public health later in life. Preventing immediate or later life consequences requires appropriate public health strategies. In this course, these strategies are pivotal; students will be trained how and why public health strategies in different phases of the life course are developed and implemented. The core theme of the course is how to use epidemiological evidence for public health strategies implemented in society. Application of the research methods will be illustrated with existing strategies concerning prenatal care, early child development, labour participation, ageing and end-of-life care.
The programme consists of lectures, group discussions and an assignment.
During this course, students will learn
- To apply epidemiological and public health methods for the translation of public health challenges to public health solutions;
- To develop a public health strategy for public health challenges at different periods across the life course;
- To link the scientific relevance of public health strategies with the societal impact.
This elective is highly recommended for students majoring in public health epidemiology.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
No fees are charged for participation of Erasmus MC PhD candidates
Please note that in case of cancellation or no show, the cancellation policy applies based on the full course fee.
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
UMIT, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment.
25% reduction on our fees for Erasmus MC employees
For participants formally appointed at all departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above and Erasmus MC PhD candidates).
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students without formal appointment at Erasmus MC
Upon receipt of your application you will receive a request to upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student.