Human Epigenomics [ESP75]
Monday to Friday (5 afternoons)
Dr. Jordana Bell
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Understanding of genetics, principles of gene regulation, and genomics research (topics covered by ESP57 and ESP63).
- Genetic Epidemiology
Detailed information about this course:
Faculty: Jordana Bell, PhD
This course is formerly known as Epigenetics.
This course aims to give an introduction to epigenetics and epigenomic studies of human disease. The course offers an overview of epigenetic mechanisms and their importance during development and over the life course. Different sources of epigenomic variation will be discussed, as well as approaches to characterize epigenomic variability with the use of modern molecular and bioinformatics methods. The course will then focus on epigenomic studies of human disease, to enable participants to interpret the findings in modern epigenetic research and put these into a functional perspective.
A laptop is required for computer exercises during the course.
After completing the course, students should be able to:
- Describe epigenetic mechanisms and understand their role during development, over the lifecourse, and in disease.
- Understand the sources of epigenetic variation.
- Perform a basic epigenome-wide association analysis.
- Interpret results and evaluate them in a functional context.
Basic science researchers, clinicians with an interest in epigenetic research, and postdoctoral scientists and graduate students in the fields of genetics, molecular biology, bioinformatics, computer science, and other quantitative fields.
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please upload proof of enrollment as a PhD student in the application form.
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field). Please note that the reduction on fees for alumni does not apply to the Erasmus Summer Programme.