Genetic-epidemiologic Research Methods [GE02]
Monday to Friday during the first three weeks. The last week is a study week.
Najaf Amin, PhD , Prof. Simon Heath, PhD
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam NL
Genome Wide Association Analysis (ESP74), Principles of Genetic Epidemiology (ESP43), Genomics in Molecular Medicine (ESP57) and Biostatistical Methods I: Basic Principles (CC02).
Detailed information about this course:
The aim of this course is to introduce participants to the basic principles of genetic epidemiological research.The first part of the course is dedicated to binary traits, covering the basics of probability theory, hypothesis testing, risk calculation in families, and principles of complex segregation analysis. The second part of the course focuses on the genetics of quantitative traits, covering the concept and estimation of heritability and basic quantitative trait linkage analysis using modern genetic analysis software such as SOLAR and MERLIN. In the third part of the course design of genetic epidemiological studies will be discussed. This will be illustrated by practical examples and an assignment to develop a study.During the third week of the course, students will work in groups on this assignment, and will prepare a presentation.
Introduce participants to the basic principles of genetic epidemiological research.
Attendance, Presentation(s), Written exam
Reduction on fees
PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESEARCH MASTERS (120 EC points)
50% reduction on our fees for participating institutes of NIHES
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the departments or sections participating in NIHES.
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam:
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Psychiatry, Section of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychology
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of General Practice
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Generation R
50% reduction on our fees for NIHES affiliated partners
This 50% reduction is offered to participants formally appointed at the following NIHES affiliated partners:
University Medical Center Rotterdam/Erasmus University Rotterdam, departments of:
- General Paediatrics
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Institute of Medical Education Research Rotterdam (iMERR)
Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital
- Department of Cancer Epidemiology
25% reduction on our fees for partner institutes of NIHES
For participants formally appointed at the following departments, institutes:
- Departments of Erasmus MC (except the departments mentioned above)
- Addiction Research Institute (IVO)
- Integraal Kankercentrum Zuid (IKZ)
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- Municipal Health Service Amsterdam (GGD Amsterdam)
- Municipal Health Service Rotterdam (GGD Rotterdam)
- Admiraal De Ruyter Ziekenhuis
25% reduction for all (international) PhD students
Please state your tutor’s name and email address on the application form (remarks field).
25% reduction on our course fees (maximum 3 EC points per academic year) for all NIHES alumni
Please state that you are a NIHES alumnus/alumna and the academic year you graduated (remarks field).